According to Organizing for Action, the newest plan to repeal Obamacare is “even more cruel.” Premiums would still increase; there would still be tax cuts for the wealthy, and it would cover 24 million fewer Americans than the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare.) The new plan also “allows states to opt out of a key protection for Americans with pre-existing conditions. and another that requires coverage for services including maternity care, prescription drugs, and emergency room visits.”
The House may vote as soon as TONIGHT so we need to take action right now.
According to the group Feminist Majority, the plan would:
- Eliminate the ACA’s requirement that all health insurers provide Essential Health Benefits, including maternity and newborn care, mental health treatment, prescription drug coverage, access to birth control without co-pays or deductibles, and many more crucial healthcare services.
- Do away with protections for people with pre-existing conditions, allowing insurers to charge–among other people–women who have had C-sections and survivors of domestic violence exorbitantly higher costs for coverage.
- Defund Planned Parenthood.
- End the Medicaid expansion and drastically cut Medicaid funding, kicking tens of millions of people off of their insurance.
- Further restrict coverage of abortion in the private insurance market by placing restrictions on private insurance companies’ ability to offer comprehensive reproductive healthcare coverage in the marketplace that includes abortion.
We need all 50 Ways-Rockbridge Members to call NOW to make our voices heard!
Here is the information to contact Representative Goodlatte:
- Phone: (202) 225-5431
- Fax: (202) 225-9681
- Website: https://goodlatte.house.gov/
- Contact page: https://goodlatte.house.gov/contact/
- Twitter: @RepGoodlatte
- Local Offices:
Harrisonburg: (540) 432-2391
Lynchburg: (434) 845-8306
Roanoke: (540) 857-2672
Staunton: (540) 885-3861