The House of Representatives is voting THIS MORNING on the newest version of Trumpcare.
Even if you’ve been calling Goodlatte’s offices all week, call again this morning! If you can visit a district office this morning, go for it! Send messages through the contact page on his website! Tweet your concerns so that his Twitter feed is filled with constituents asking to keep healthcare! Post about it in Facebook!
The bill is horrible for many reasons, but dire for people with pre-existing conditions.
Here are details about the bill from Indivisible:
WORSE FOR PEOPLE WITH PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS
Republicans recently unveiled a new change to their bill—the Upton-Long amendment—that would make the impact of TrumpCare even more severe for people with pre-existing conditions. Why does it make it worse? Because it actually incentivises states to drop protections for people with pre-existing conditions. This is how it does it:
- The ACA is complicated, but it’s complicated for a reason. It balances the needs of the sick and the healthy, and guarantees that if you have a pre-existing condition, you can’t be charged more or dropped from coverage.
- TrumpCare dismantles the ACA and gets rid of this guarantee, making it more costly to insure sick people. This is unsustainable and states will be under immense pressure to allow insurance companies to charge people with pre-existing conditions more for their health care.
- The Upton-Long amendment provides $8 billion for high-risk pools (for those with pre-existing conditions) but ONLY to states that drop consumer protections, like those for people with pre-existing conditions, meaning states are financially incentivized to drop those protections.
And yet, $8 billion is nowhere near the $200 billion dollars needed to adequately fund those high-risk pools (Oh and by the way, high-risk pools don’t work anyway.)
The upshot: if you have a pre-existing condition, the Upton-Long amendment will put you at greater risk of facing higher premiums, for worse coverage.
Here is the contact information for Bob Goodlatte:
- Phone: (202) 225-5431
- Fax: (202) 225-9681
- Website: https://goodlatte.house.gov/
- Contact page: https://goodlatte.house.gov/contact/
- Twitter: @RepGoodlatte
- Local Offices:
Harrisonburg: (540) 432-2391
Lynchburg: (434) 845-8306
Roanoke: (540) 857-2672
Staunton: (540) 885-3861