- Don’t let the Comey firing and the surrounding press coverage let you forget the AHCA. Senators are now working on making a version to pass the senate–now is the time to voice our opposition to Goodlatte’s staffers at the Open Door meeting on Thursday, May 18 from 9:00 am – 10:30 am at the Rockbridge County Administration Building, Second Floor, 150 South Main St. These are the pre-existing conditions that won’t be covered under the legislation as it now stands:
Alcohol or drug abuse with recent treatment
Congestive heart failure
Coronary artery/heart disease, bypass surgery
Kidney disease, renal failure
Mental disorders (including Anxiety, Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Schizophrenia)
Pending surgery or hospitalization
Pregnancy or expectant parent (includes men)
If you or a family member or friend would be affected by a change, speak up! Let’s get everyone to speak out about how disastrous this bill will be!
2. The Maury River Friends are hosting author Linda Rabben to speak about Sanctuary on Sunday, May 21 at 3:00 pm:
3. On Wednesday, May 24, there will be a discussion at W&L about the refugee crisis:
4. Join us tonight for 50 Pints at the Devil’s Backbone Outpost! 5:00 – 7:00 pm
5. Trash Talk! is this evening from 6:30 – 8:30 PM at the Natural Bridge Firehouse, 5705 South Lee Highway
If you are confused or looking for information about what’s going on with our roadside dumpsters and recycling centers in Rockbridge County, come on out and have a chat about trashy matters with your neighbors and elected officials. The gathering is sponsored by County Unity, a group of locals interested in bringing people together around common concerns.
6:30pm — Meet & greet with free refreshments
7:00pm — Buffalo Supervisor John Higgins and Natural Bridge Supervisor David Hinty will give us a status update, hear our opinions, and take questions
While issues related to trash are of concern across the county, this meeting is intended for those who live in the Buffalo and Natural Bridge districts (e.g. Fancy Hill, Natural Bridge, Glasgow). We hope to hold similar gatherings in other parts of the county soon.
County Unity is part of 50 Ways Rockbridge. Contact person: Gail Sperka, 291-2463