Steps for publicizing your event:
- Write a press release and send to email@example.com for approval. (see the sample press release at the end of the checklist)
- Send the press release to Tinni Sen and ask her to put the info on the 50 Ways website calendar. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Send the press release to Sydney Bufkin and ask her to send out an email to all 50 Ways members. (email@example.com)
- Send the press release to all or some of the print press on the list at the end of this checklist. Include a short note in the body of the email asking them to please print the release if there is room and attach the release in an editable form (not a pdf).
- Send the press release to all or some of the TV media on the list at the end of the checklist.
- Send the press release to The Rockbridge Advocate. Include a note asking that the event be included in the Refrigerator Calendar and inviting Doug to the event. Deadline is 17th of the previous month. The calendar is first come first served. (Doug Harwood, editor: firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Put the event in The News-Gazette Calendar. Deadline previous Friday noon. (Darryl Woodson, editor: email@example.com) This is only for community events NOT political events. The Gazette will only run political events in a paid ad. HOWEVER, it can’t hurt to try! (sample calendar event at the end of checklist)
- Put the event in W&L daily online Campus Notices for the day of the event and the day before. A W&L employee must do this and must first set up an account. (set up the account here: https://mga1.wlu.edu/login.php?redir=/campusnotices/index.php)
- Set up a public Facebook Events page. Ask all the sub-committee members to invite their friends and mark themselves as going. This will show the event on their friends feeds. Update the page several times with new info and photos to keep the buzz going. Share the page with the 50 Ways Rockbridge Facebook group page.
- Make a flyer. 8 ½” x 11” is a practical size. Be creative and eye-catching. Try collage, hand-drawn pictures, bold magic-marker letters, stamps, fluorescent paper. If possible scan and save it as pdf and jpg. Use the pdf for printing and the jpg for Facebook and inserting into emails.
- Print the flyer. Use a home printer for a small run without much ink. James Allen Printing is good for ink-heavy flyers or runs of more than 75. You can email them a pdf (https://www.jamesallenprinting.com/order-online/) or take them the original to copy on their color copy-machine. Please request funding from the 50 Ways-Rockbridge Board before printing if cost is an issue.
- Post the flyer on bulletin boards – including Blue Phoenix Café inside and outside, Lexington Motel Restaurant, YMCA, P.O., libraries (Lexington, Goshen, Glasgow, BV), W&L, VMI, dumpsters. Remember to cover the county, BV and Glasgow.
- Email an invitation to friends (perhaps using the flyer as a jpg in the email) and ask friends specifically to forward the invitation to their friends.
DURING THE EVENT: Use Instagram and Twitter. (#50WaysRockbridge)
AFTER THE EVENT: Post a wrap-up with photos on the 50 Ways Rockbridge Facebook page.
AFTER THE EVENT: Write thank-you notes to everyone who helped.
OTHER IDEAS AS NEEDED:
- Place a display ad in The News-Gazette. Deadline is Monday noon, firstname.lastname@example.org (Gazette rate card: http://thenews-gazette.com/Rate%20Card%202016,%20rev.%205-25-16.pdf) They will make the ad.
- Take out a classified in The News-Gazette. Deadline is Tuesday, 10:00, email@example.com (first insertion $10.75 for first 3 lines, $1.65 for each additional line.)
- Place a display ad in The Rockbridge Advocate. Ad rates: full: $400, 2/3: $266.75,1/2: $200, 1/3: $133.35, 1/4: $100, 1/6: $66.75, 1/8: $50, 1/12: $35, spot color is an additional $100, full color is an additional $400.) They’ll make the ad
- Banner across Main Street or Washington Street. ($125 installation fee + price of banner. Specs at the end of checklist)
- Booth at the Community Festival in August.
LOCAL PRINT MEDIA
Lexington The News Gazette: 463-3113, published weekly on Wed
editor Darryl Woodson, firstname.lastname@example.org
reporter contact Kit Huffman email@example.com
submission deadlines: news stories, Fri noon firstname.lastname@example.org
Calendar Fri noon, email@example.com
classifieds Tues 10, firstname.lastname@example.org
display ads Mon noon, email@example.com
W&L/Rockbridge Rockbridge Report: published online weekly
general staff firstname.lastname@example.org
Kevin Finch, Lead Supervisor, Visiting Assistant Prof. of Journalism & Mass Comm. email@example.com
Rockbridge County The Rockbridge Advocate: 463-2062, published monthly at the beginning of the month
“Refrigerates” calendar deadline around 17th of previous month, news tips anytime
editor Doug Harwood, firstname.lastname@example.org
Regional/Roanoke Roanoke Times: published daily
Rockbridge/Botetourt bureau reporter Laurence Hammack, 981-32339, email@example.com
Online Calendar (not print calendar) submission: https://www.roanoke.com/users/admin/calendar/event/
Regional/Staunton News Leader: http://www.newsleader.com/ (800) 793-2459, published daily
David Fritz, Executive editor, 402 133-9116, firstname.lastname@example.org
staff listing and contact info: http://static.newsleader.com/staff/
OTHER PRINT MEDIA (in Cline’s and Goodlatte’s district)
Amherst Amherst New Era-Progress: 434-385-5555 published weekly
staff listing and contact info: http://www.newsadvance.com/new_era_progress/site/personnel.html
Lynchburg The News & Advance: 434-385-5440, published daily
news tips and story ideas email@example.com
Bath County/Highland County The Recorder: published weekly on Thurs
Anne Witschey Adams, Publisher/Editor RecorderAnne@gmail.com,
MISC. PRINT MEDIA
Richmond Times Dispatch: published daily, covers state
two state politics reporters, Graham Moomaw and Patrick Wilson
news tips http://www.richmond.com/contact-us/
Charlottesville The Daily Progress: publishes daily
news tips firstname.lastname@example.org
WDBJ7, Lexington bureau (located in The News-Gazette building) Bruce Young: email@example.com
WVTF and Radio IQ: firstname.lastname@example.org
Classic 96.7 3WZ & 1450 WREL 540 463.2161 email@example.com
Rockbridge County High School The Prowler: publishes online, Alejandro Rush, Editor-in-Chief firstname.lastname@example.org
HELPFUL LINKS & ETC.
50 Ways Twitter #50WaysRockbridge
50 Ways Instagram
list of Virginia newspapers with links. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_Virginia
Goodlatte’s district map http://goodlatte.house.gov/district/interactivemap.htm
Cline’s district map http://www.bencline.com/the_24th_district
BANNER across Main Street or Washington Street. ($125 installation fee + price of banner. Contact Lex Public Works Dept. – 463-3154 to see if the space is available. Can be reserved up to 1 year in advance. 3‘ high x 20‘ – 24’ long, grommets top and bottom, air holes. Fill out application from Public Works and receive approval. Must be a non-profit event.)
PRESS RELEASE sample:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
contact: Gail xxxx
If you are confused or looking for information about what’s going on with our roadside dumpsters and recycling centers in Rockbridge County, come on out and have a chat about trashy matters with your neighbors and elected officials on Tuesday, May 16 at the Natural Bridge Firehouse, 5705 South Lee Highway.
The event begins at 6:30 with light refreshments and the opportunity to meet and chat with other participants. At 7:00 Buffalo Supervisor John Higgins and Natural Bridge Supervisor David Hinty will give a status update, hear opinions, and take questions.
While issues related to trash are of concern across the county, this meeting is intended for those who live in the Buffalo and Natural Bridge districts (e.g. Fancy Hill, Natural Bridge, Glasgow). The sponsors hope to hold similar gatherings in other parts of the county soon.
The event is sponsored by County Unity, a group of local folks interested in bringing people together around common concerns, and is a part of 50 Ways Rockbridge.
CALENDAR ITEM sample:
Monday May 15
6:30 p.m. Trash Talk! Presentation and discussion about the current status of the dumpsters in Buffalo and Natural Bridge districts with Supervisors Hinty and Higgins. Natural Bridge Firehouse, 5705 South Lee Highway. Public invited.
NEED SOME BACK-UP HELP? Contact the publicity group via:
Joe Watkins: email@example.com 540 205-8191
Elizabeth Sauder: firstname.lastname@example.org 540 463-4011